FarmERP – A ray of hope in drought-hit areas of Maharashtra

A technology platform for digitizing agricultural practices

0
288
FarmERP
FarmERP is a technology platform known for digitizing agricultural practices since 2001

When climate risks create hard-hitting damages on the crops for farmers, technology integrated with farming allows individuals to mitigate these risks and come out of the harvest season, reaping profitability in abundance. This also allows farmers to educate themselves on processes that will make their hard work count.

FarmERP and a Life Sciences company took up a two-year initiative to deliver nutrition and crop solutions for plants and animals. The work on developmental projects in India was intended to help small farmers improve their farm productivity and grow residue-free produce. FarmERP aimed to reach 100 thousand resources deprived, small area farmers, within two years.

FarmERP is a technology platform known for digitizing agricultural practices since 2001. This platform was developed by Maharashtra-based Shivrai Technologies – a software firm founded in 1996 by two young first-generation entrepreneurs Sanjay Borkar and Santosh Shinde, with a vision to revolutionize agriculture using Information Technology solutions. They aim towards sustainable, safe, climate-resilient, and traceable agricultural practices to better the condition of the farmers in India and other regions and assist corporates in achieving their business goals.

Challenges

Various challenges were faced in the course of this project. Over 250 field executives were appointed to reach out to multiple groups of smallholder farmers. Due to the farmers residing in remote areas, they had little or no access to the learnings of the urban towns and cities, which hindered progress and limited potential.

FarmERP digital platform

To ensure these challenges did not cause a hindrance, FarmERP and the Life Sciences company navigated their approach tactfully. The first phase of implementation started for 25,000 smallholder farmers, mainly in the drought-prone regions of Vidarbha and Marathwada. Through the field executives, the FarmERP digital platform captured, integrated, and analyzed the data they received and converted it into actionable insights to support farmers and policymakers.

FarmERP assisted the farmers in capturing all the data for farm economics periodically and consistently. Market linkages were established for the harvested crops as the collective yield estimates and proposed harvesting dates for all the crops were generated through the FarmERP platform. The analytical dashboards helped the project managers and senior management of the partner company who supplied inputs to these farmers, monitor progress, and take decisions accordingly. The periodically updated data allowed them to predict future sales as well.

Outcomes

The company claimed that the productivity of 75% of the total farms in the project had doubled. An impact analysis was conducted on the rest of the 25% of farms. According to them, the agronomists’ timely advice allowed accurate nutrition, irrigation, crop health, and more, which in turn called for double the productivity and an increase in the profitability as well.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here